I've been aware of tagging for quite a while probably since Xanga.com, my favroite blog site, added it to their post options. I never really put any tags on my posts until I created this blogger account. Having read a bit about them now I can see why they would be very beneficial. They also could help lead you to a site that you never would have thought to visit.
A glaring problem I see though is spelling. If you misspell a tag that you put on your site it won't connect to other tags that people have. Related to this if people use a different spelling for a word (ex. gray and grey) it will also make the tag less useful.
As of right now I still don't care about that much tagging. I do like the ability to tag pictures on websites like facebook. Blog tags are something that I rarely use and haven't invested much time in either.
Del.icio.us is a rather interesting website. It is nice that it allows you to store your bookmarks online rather than in your browser. Often though I usually don't bookmark a site unless I go there a lot and the address is difficult to type in. Most sites I prefer to just type the url myself or uwse one of the buttons in my Yahoo toolbar, which is much like a bookmark. In the future I might use this site more.
One of my big things with the many sites out there like this is that once again you need to have a username/password and I'm getting a little tired of having to sign up for so many different sites. I like when something like google or yahoo provides the service for a login I already have.
The site was also provides a lot of little information that I don't care for. When I was searching it would tell me how many people had tagged it or how many other things were under the tag. It was a very nice site but as I said I'm not sure that I will be visiting much.

No comments:
Post a Comment