Monday, November 26, 2007

Instant Messaging [Thing #11]

Instant Messaging is different from traditional means of communication in that allows immediate direct communication. Now I could have immediate direct communication using the phone too. The benefit of using instant messaging though is that I can directly talk to several people at once. It also gives me greater control over who can contact me which I like. If someone contacts me that I don't want to ever talk to again I can add them to a list and they won't be able to reach me. A phone number is a very personal means of direct communication where as the IM allows me to maintain my privacy. The increased ability to communicate and extra privacy are what make IMing so different from traditional means.

Libraries should IM because their customers IM. Nowadays a lot of people are familiar with and know how to IM, that number will only grow with time as younger generations grow up. Libraries need to start integrating this new technology now so that librarians using it can become more comfortable with it so they are prepared for when more people start asking for it. I know that when it comes to asking a question I am much more comfortable IMing someone than calling someone, as are some of my friends.
Library wise it could also increase means of communication. If I need to ask someone a simple question it seems time consuming to send an e-mail when I could potentially send them an IM. I would also be able to see when someone was available, say I need to ask my boss a question I could contact them much faster. If I needed to ask a co-worker a quick question I could e-mail them and wait, I could call around and try and find them, but again an IM would be a much more effective means of communication. I could ask my question and get a response much faster than I could with the other two methods. IMing in the workplace would also allow me to discreetly ask a question. If a co-worker was struggling to answer a question that I thought I might be able to help with I could offer my help via IM instead of being obvious and dropping a note. I could also discreetly ask for help from a co-worker as well.

Instant Messaging is an important technology that I feel does belong in libraries, especially based on current communication trends.

No comments: