Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Life Long Learning [Thing #2]

To me life long learning refers to the fact that you never stop learning, the continuation of basic studies [basic subject to subject specific], as well as the capability to adapt to new styles of learning.


I used to think that learning was something that you only did in school and that it was boring. I thought that when I finally got out of college, what seemed like million years away, that I would be free from the boredom of learning. It wasn't until high school that I realized that learning a) wasn't boring and b) something I did constantly.

Every new experience brought with it some bit of knowledge that I learned from it. Even when reading novels I was learning things that I would use later on as a writer. When I became interested in a new topic (author, series, TV show, movie) I would research it wanting to know everything I could about it.


What would have drawn me into Life Long Learning much sooner would have been the 7 1/2 habit of Life Long Learning: PLAY. The learning experiences I always enjoyed the most were those that allowed me to play. Tossing the ball back and forth learning multiplication, playing a jeopardy life review game. Playing enhances learning and makes it more meaningful, more interesting at all ages, and easier to recall. I remember more of my teachers who taught us by letting us play. Now that I am learning on my own, mostly, I try to incorporate play frequently. The easiest of the 7 1/2 habits of highly successful life long learners is play, for the previously stated reasons.


The hardest one for me is confidence in myself. It takes me a while to build confidence when I am new to something, or not as well-versed in it it's really difficult for me to believe that I can accomplish something. It takes extra-reassuring and a couple panic sessions for me to build enough confidence to even attempt something. I've gotten better over the years at being more confident in myself and my abilities but I still struggle with it most days.

No comments: