Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Web 2.0 / Library 2.0 [Thing #5]

I found the articles on Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 to be really interesting. Having worked in an academic library I was already familiar with the topic and the issues regarding it. At point I actually went to a meeting of librarians and one of the topics turned towards the use of new web technology and its place in the library.


Library 2.0 means that libraries will have more options to provide more services to their patrons in new ways. It will require libraries to learn the new technology of the dag (Wikis, Blogging,
Wikis- Provide ways for libraries to provide easy information access to patrons who can then learn things on their own, if they don't wish to ask directly. They could also allow Examples of helpful wikis could be Boolean Searching, Books Reviews, etc.
Instant Messaging- patrons [customers] can recieve library assistance from the comfort of their homes. At my last library I was trying to encoruage them to provide this service as it would be more comfortable for them to send an instant message than to come all the way and waste anytime.
Blogs- Librarians can post a variety of different information that can then be available to their patrons. One of the ways that I use my blog is posting book reviews. If someone likes something that I reviewed I could also leave recommendations for further reading as well.
Social Networking Sites- In regards to libraries I think social networking provides a way for librarians to connect to one another. If librarians built stronger connections between them this would allow libraries to build stronger connections strengthening modes of communication. It also who provide an avenue for greater exchange of ideas.


Web 2.0 in libraries is an exciting frontier to be that I fully embrace. I know there are a lot of gray areas when it comes to what services should a library provide, but as the main source of information for some people we have an obligation to be aware of current trends. Even after talking with some of my co-workers about it my opinion remains unchanged.

No comments: